Sunday, December 9, 2012

Simple things!


My mom has kept this poem with my handprint on it since I was in kindergarten.  Whenever I’m going through her stuff I look at my handprint and it’s hard to believe that I was ever so small.  Here’s what it says:
“Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small,
And always leave my fingerprints
On the furniture and walls.
But everyday I’m growing,
I’ll be grown up someday,
And all these tiny handprints
Will simply fade away.
So here’s a final handprint
Just so you can recall,
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.”

I can honestly say that I had an amazing childhood filled with lots of playing, love, and laughter.  It’s amazing to think back on those times, and realize how slowly time passed.  As I have grown, I have noticced that time moves much faster.  I contemplate that a lot and ponder why?  What I’ve realized is that as a child most of us are usually sheltered from the worldly pains and distress, we are encouraged to explore, to learn, and to appreciate the simplicities of life.  As we grow older, we are introduced to time, pain, distress, and life demands.  Sometimes the complexities of life get me to the point where I’m wishing my days away for better ones that are simpler.  For example, if I’m stressed at work I’m waiting for my work day to end or if I’m going through a painful experience I’m often wishing for it to be over.  Throughout my week I find myself in auto pilot mode for example when I drive to work instead of appreciating the beauty of nature I’m watching the clock and wondering when the light will turn green so I can get to work on time.  Every day I try to enjoy all the moments in my life good or bad, and try to appreciate the joy that life brings me.        

Today I took a run and it was an amazing experience.  One of my favorite things about running is its away for me to distress and appreciate those simple things in life that I sometimes take for granted.  I love moments like today where life reminds me that there is much to be appreciated.  Today, I wanted to share with you the simple things I love!

1)      The taste of water after a workout.

2)      Reading a good book on a rainy day.

3)      When someone tells you they like the sound of your laugh.

4)      Heart to heart talks.

5)      Warm water on cold hands.

6)      Listening to someone laugh.

7)      Finding out something is easier than you thought.

8)      Finishing a paper or work assignment.

9)      The first time you listen to your favorite song.

10)  When you realize your hot chocolate has reached the perfect temperature.

11)  Learning something new.

12)  Going out of your way to help someone.

13)  Smiling at a stranger.

14)  Watching a sunset or sunrise

15)  Making an accidental discovery.

16)  Unexpected hugs.

17)  Hearing someone talk about what they’re passionate about.

18)  When someone remembers the small details about you.

19)  Talking to the people I love.

20)  Saying “I love you” and falling in love. 

This list could go on forever so I’ll stop at 20.  This week I encourage you to appreciate the small things in life.   

Crystal Angel

No comments: